Friday, July 10, 2015

The Ex

Tonight was about getting together with the ex and working on his will and health directive.  He's put me in charge of it all. I will be the one to make any decisions in the event that he is unable to.  I am the executor of the estate.  I wasn't really sure if he wanted me to be, or if his GF now held the power, but no...he wants me to do it.

He was stone cold sober, which is great...but his legs and stomach are so swollen with fluid. He's still yellow, so we know that his liver isn't functioning as it should. The doctor talked to him about a liver transplant if his liver doesn't start functioning again. Apparently, you have to get on a list now...even if you're not sure you need one.

However, in his situation, he'll be required to prove that he is alcohol free for 6 months.  This means random testing, etc.  I don't know that he's ever gone 6 months without alcohol.  I fear that one slip up could be his undoing. So what do I do?

His Dad is still tearing him down. And based upon what his GF talked about, although she may not be drinking in the house, she's bartending part time at a local watering hole...and drinking while there.  They are unwittingly (I hope unwittingly) undermining his efforts.

I've decided to pay his Dad a visit and make it extremely clear to him that I will not tolerate his abusive talk.  That I expect him to be encouraging or silent and that if he continues to tear his son down, then I will make it my mission to make his life a living hell if his son doesn't survive this journey. I have to do this...I need to do this.  I will not allow the Ex to be undermined..I will not allow anyone to damage his efforts.  If he fails, he fails due to his choices, not the people around him.  I will do everything in my power to ensure my Niece does not lose another male figure at this point in her life.

Sounds like I'm still married to him, huh?  I won't lie...I love him, and I will always love him.  I'm not in love with him and we'll never be "together" again. But we have a Son, and we have a future as Grandparents, and I need to do what's in my power to ensure the family stays a family.  Even if we're a divided one. My Son needs this, my Niece needs this...I need this. So, I'll suck it up and do what's necessary.

I just sincerely hope that I get a break soon, cuz I'm stressed to the max!

No comments: