Sunday, June 22, 2014

Beanster Weekend

So I pick up my Beanster on Friday afternoon and the first question out of her mouth is whether the cowboy has moved in.  Knife twisting in my heart...ugh!  I tell her, no...he hasn't moved in.  "Well, when is he?"  I told her that he might not be moving in after all.  Sometimes these things do not work out.  So she looks at me and says "He'll still be going to Six-Flaggs with us, right?" I just smiled and said "maybe".  The hardest part about relationships is involving your family.  Especially my Niece.  Involving her is a big risk..to her!  I don't mind taking those risks, but I don't want her getting hurt in the process.

So I deflect and ask her when the last time was that she went to the movies?  I guess it had been awhile and it definitely had been awhile for me too.  Since we both haven't been to the movies in some time....we head off to see Maleficient. The new take on an old story was quite an appropriate one. Unfortunately for me, it hit me where I live.

I don't want this blog to be a spoiler, so the only thing I'll say is...at the end, I'm looking down at my niece knowing what's important and what isn't. Since we're both big Disney fans...we know the words to "Once Upon a Dream" and walk out, hand in hand, singing loud and proud!

After picking up stuff for dinner, we get home and BBQ ribs!  The next morning is spent at the farmers market getting fresh fruit and veggies.  Of course...she pipes up, "Auntie, we have to get our street tacos" and we do!



We always have a great time at the Farmers Market and I like that I'm teaching her how to pick out the ripe fruit vs over ripe (or under). I'm teaching her to smell the produce and the touch and feel of the right food.

We also make our own rub for the ribs and we packed the leftover rub into a shaker for home.  Not sure what her mother is going to think of all of this...but, it's all good.

Saturday evening, we BBQed shrimp and veggies.  I made a foil packet with bacon, brussels sprouts and carrots, and I grilled some green onions.  It turned out great.

My niece is obsessed with Harry Potter...so needless to say, it was a HP weekend. I think I could go without seeing Harry for awhile.  I hated seeing her leave, but I'm looking forward to us being together again....especially our Amusement Park Day!!!






No comments: