Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Day


My Facebook post for Veteran’s day read:

“On this day I have a million thoughts flying thru my head about our Veterans and trying to grab one is difficult.  I’m blessed to have serving military and veterans in my circle of friends and family, including my Son. The best way I can think of to appreciate and honor their sacrifice is to do everything I can to preserve the freedom they bled for and provide me.

To let this precious gift slip through my fingers without a fight means I’m not worthy of the right to choose. Protect your freedom and honor those who sacrificed for it!”

Warning…This blog site is called DizRant for a reason….

I am so blessed to not only love, but be in love with members of the military. So it angers me when I see and hear people disrespect not only their sacrifice, but to disrespect the very freedom provided to them.

It angers me to see Americans toss away their freedom for safety, for comfort, out of sheer laziness, because they’re unwilling to work for it or fight for it.  It’s so easy for them to toss this freedom away when they didn’t have to bleed for it, work for it or worry about a loved one fighting or dying for it. The best analogy I can give is the teenager and their first car.  When the parents give them their first car, 95% of teenagers don’t understand the magnitude of the gift and treat their car like crap.  It’s only when they have to scrimp and save for the car that they understand the cost and take better care of it.

A lot of Americans are the same way. They’re given the luxury of freedom and use their free speech to bad mouth our military and our Vets. They use their free speech to toss away their right to choose and then want to hound and bash anyone that would speak against them. They use their vote to curtail their freedom, letting our inept Government decide what’s best for them. They talk about those that “Have” as if those people didn’t toil and work hard to have the luxuries they do and expect their Government to give them what they are “entitled” to…even if it has to be taken away from the ones that worked hard for it. Really???  Again, Benjamin Franklin said “Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security”.

It makes me wonder why our fine men and women continue to join the armed forces when they see what some of the American people do with their freedom.  But their level of commitment to the American Dream, Freedom and their fellow Americans is truly humbling. They know that everyone isn’t on their side, but they do it for a bigger purpose. They do it so democracy doesn’t die.  And they continue to fight the hard fight even though the odds are against them.

Wow.    As Dylan Thomas said “Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright. Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay, Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”  The blog, my Facebook posts, my letters to my legislators…these are my rages against the dying of the light. Rage with me. Fight by my side. Honor our Veterans.

No comments: