Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday....Really???

JAYZUZZ!!!!  What a fraking day!  It had both good and bad elements to it.  Where do I begin?

I do IT Project Management (most of the time...it does me!), and while I enjoy the job, the challenges, and technology in general....there are times that it all just pisses me off.  I get called into the boss' office (two bosses up) and the door gets closed. I'm in the room with my boss and another manager. I'm told that I'm needed for a specific project and that I must be taken off of the projects I'm currently on.  What do I need to do to transition off, and who can I hand them off to?  I look at my boss "T", the other manager "A" and THE BOSS "J" and said, really???  There's no other project manager that you can hand this off to? "J" said I was specifically requested by the ultimate higher-ups and they were ok with me being taken off my projects.

This is in response to a major incident at my work that also went public, so the scrutiny is extremely high from all over the State. So I look at the schedule, and tell them that I've got two weeks of vacation at the end of May and there's no way for me to meet the first due date.  They said no problem, vacation is a done deal and they'll have someone else meet the first one. What else?

And then Peeps....Dizzy let the shit fly!!!  She did not hold back a fucking thing! She flat out says "I got nothing to lose...I can't be promoted unless they change my classification or I go into management, so I'm not pulling any punches". "J" says that's why they want you on the project, that you'll lay it out and tell them the things they don't want to hear.  "J" also says that I've been chosen because I make it happen, I meet deadlines and I work well with my teams.  I said that the reason I work well with my teams is that I have the best teams. I don't piss them off and they know that I'm personally vested in them and the project outcome. I tell them that they are basically asking me to walk out on a team that I've worked with for over two years, at the finale of the project, at the highest risk point and expect this team to respect me and work with me again on the next project.

I then go into detail about how I really felt and my immediate boss is backing me to the hilt. But in the end "J" says its gotta happen. So I said "Fine, ultimately...I'm here for a paycheck, so I'll do whatever it is you want, but I'm successful at my projects because I take them personally. I'm not vested in what you're asking me to do. And while I appreciate the compliments you and management have given me, it worries me.  You've set the bar extremely high and sooner or later I will fail, and the fall will be long and hard."  "J" says that I shouldn't think that way and that everything will be fine.  I said that it was the law of averages...I can't always be successful, and it's a matter of time before it does...and with a project that I'm not vested in (at least not yet), that I've shafted my teams for, has pretty much loaded the deck against me.  She also lets me know that Dizzy Monkey will be dancing for upper management sometime in the next couple of days, so they can express their concerns and talk to me personally about the project...

It is what it is..., but after the meeting, I headed to my main and most important team member and told him what was up.  He said "You were in that closed door meeting?" and I said "yeah, why?" He said, it got pretty heated in there...I should've known it was you. I didn't tell him this, but some things are worth fighting for.  I'm only as good as my team, and they're fucking phenomenal! So if someone wants me to disrespect them, it is ON!  I left the building HOT!  Ah well...nothing a little (or a lot) of tequila and a straight razor won't handle.  It's Monday and I don't like to start off the workweek drinking, but....

I made crockpot pulled pork for dinner, but got stood up by my mother (when doesn't she stand me up?) so that will go into the fridge. I got home and found that my walltat avatars have been delivered. I couldn't figure out what to do with my wall where my bed headboard is on.  I had a multi-pic collage of my ex-boyfriend and I up there, but that just won't do. I use this avatar for my web stuff, so I sent out an email to about 12 of my buddies to see which color should go up.  It will have the chocolate wall showing through, so I couldn't decide on the red or the light brown (close to the beige that's already in the room). I've gotten 4 votes back so far.  3 for the beige and 1 for the red.

What do you think Peeps?  Below is the original picture and the avatars taped to the wall.




No comments: