Thursday, April 4, 2013

Rain, Nails and the Prom!

RAIN


I love rainy days (except when the yard guy is supposed to come and clean up the crap from the property). I love the sound of the drops hitting the leaves in the trees and the patter of rain on the cement.  I love the fresh smell of the air and the combination of earth. I love walking in the rain and feeling the drops hit my face.  I don’t care that my hair gets wet and I look like a Yeti with iPod ear buds (gotta walk with music…come on!).

There’s something about the renewal of life through rain that restores my soul and changes my perspective. Not as much as the Ocean, mind you (that’s in 6-weeks), but still, it’s a cleansing process.  It’s raining today and I’m looking forward to an evening walk in it.

With every yin there’s a yang…i.e. the idiot drivers are always recognizable in the rain. They drive as though they’ve never experienced water hitting their car while in motion. Northern Cali is pretty bad, but I’ve driven in SoCal in the rain, and OMG…they should just call a city/county emergency…not for the rain, but for all the drivers, telling them it’s safer to stay in their homes.  I’m not sure if it’s the fact that they have no confidence in their abilities or no confidence in the abilities of their vehicles. I just don’t have the patience for it.

I see driving in the rain as a challenge...just like driving in the snow. Being in total sync with your ride and knowing the pull of the tires in relation to the road.  I'm a serious believer that you have to feel driving. If you don't, the most you'll ever be is a proficient driver...you'll never excel at it...like any other sport, hobby, love.... 


NAILS

Paid a visit to my Girlie "J" today. She always makes my day and my nails look fabulous.  Too bad they won't be running across a man's back...where they belong. Ah well, I digress.  She said for me to make sure to blog that "DIZ IS NOT A HOMEWREAKER!" Of course, the people who truly know me, know that.  It's those damned rules of mine....but she wasn't happy about a couple of the offers I've received and wanted me to make it clear, so I don't think I can make it any clearer than that!

She's always got my back and like my other BFFs, will tell it like it is and not worry that my feelings will be hurt, which is what I prefer. I got to meet her Mom today, and the funny thing is her Mom is a lot like my mom..but with her shit together.    She's doing the online dating thing through that one...POS?  (And here I always thought  POS stood for Piece of Shit...what a great dating site name!)  I probably have the acronym wrong... Sorry Peeps.  She showed off the pictures for her profile, and it was funny to watch "J" squirm when her mom is talking about this stuff.  Believe me Girlie...I know the feeling.


PROM

My other girlie KA has a teenage daughter with a dilemma.  One guy has asked her to the prom, another one is about to, and the third is the one whom she's been crushing on forever, and he hasn't asked yet.  What should she do?

This is my response:

"This is a tough one.  When is the Prom? Why is J taking so long?  It's been my experience that any man who's name starts with the letter "J" is trouble with a capital T!  I don't know what it is, but they're irresistible and difficult to say NO to.  I don't envy her one bit, as I have my own issues with a "J" going on.  I say, (and this is my impetuous heart speaking, and it rarely speaks out loud for fear of getting hurt) wait for J to ask, and if he doesn't then go to the Prom with friends.  Because Prom is a special night, if you can't be with the guy you want to be with, then why settle?  Just go with friends and have fun."

Not sure if my advice was sound, but..... I remember the Prom days...what a pain in the butt!  Dress shopping, shoe shopping, hair blah blah blah.  My criteria in HS was to never date the guys that go to my school. Always have a guy from another school as your prom date (gee...sounds kinda like my rule for not dating at work....hmmmm).  I always hated the crap talk that went around my school and I did not want to be the topic of discussion! By not dating a guy from my school, they could never go back to their friends and say that "we did it".  What I didn't realize is that by doing that, it still caused talk...always curious about what I was like.

There was one occasion that didn't fair well for me.  I was seeing a guy from a rival school and he had written a pretty graphic letter to me (as only a high school guy can).  Unfortunately, by letting a girlfriend I trusted read it, I soon found out that most of the guys in my class had read it too. I was pissed. Worse, the pressure was on because suddenly I was extremely popular....every guy wanted to see if the letter was an indication of my nature.  FUCKERS!!!  They never found out....and they never will!

I can't say high school wasn't fun. I wasn't part of the popular crowd per se.  I was in the middle.  I knew people from every class and had friends in all of the different clicks. I pretty much got along with everyone, more guys than girls.  That's probably because of my shop class.  I wasn't afraid to get my hands dirty and loved working on cars. Almost dropped a head on my foot (bad Diz...such a klutz), but managed to get one of the highest grades in the class.  There were 4 girls in my shop class (myself included), but within the first two weeks it was obvious why the other three were in the class...to look pretty and to nail guys!  Cha...whatever! I was of the mind that guys come and go...I need to know how to maintain a car, or I'd have to depend on some idiot to do it for me. I'm really not one of those chicks that batts their eyes and give the dumb mopey look, as if to say "I'm a dumb defenseless girl that needs help with this big bad car".  BAARRRFFF!  If I need help, I'll ask for it, but you'll know that I tried first before I opened my mouth.

I actually liked being at school more than I liked being at home. Home meant the Anti-Christ, school meant that I didn't have to be someone I wasn't. I only pulled good grades in the classes I wanted to. I purposely (like an idiot teenager) got bad grades in the classes the Anti-Christ wanted me to do well in...just to piss him off (and it worked like a charm because he's so effing predictable). Note to self...I'll have to find one of my goofy graduation pics...give ya'll something to laugh at.  They're packed away somewhere cuz I haven't unpacked all my boxes yet.

Ah well...enough of the tour down Dizzy's memory lane.  It's the weekend Peeps!  Tomorrow I have a hair appointment (get rid of the gray), a lunch date with an old flame I haven't seen in years (should be fun catching up), a conference call, then I have to hurry back home for the installation of my retractable screen doors and the yard guy.  I'm tired just thinking about all of it. I'll let ya know how it goes. G'nite!


No comments: