Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Diary of a Home

After my In-Laws divorced, my Mother in law (I called her Mom) put both my ex-husband and me on the title of her home.  I asked her not to put my name, but she did.  After she passed away in June of 2010, I knew that the ex and I were headed for divorce.  I actually knew it in April of that year, but that's another story. I wasn't going to be a bitch about it and try and take everything...but I felt that I deserved a home, and I gave the ex his choice.  He chose our sierra foothill home, and I got Mom's home.

Now granted, Mom's home was paid off, but it was built sometime in the 50's and was in deplorable shape. Half of the electrical didn't work, the water tasted foul, the kitchen, walls, floors, etc needed a complete overhaul. Mom and I always talked about the things we would do to update the home, so I felt like it was a sign that it was mine!

So I took out a mortgage on the home and began renovation in June of 2011. I thought it would only take 3 or 4 months, but it actually didn't get signed off by the City until March of 2012. I moved in January of 2012 (Hey, it's been a year!) because of squatters down the road and because someone busted the front door lock, and I was not going to have my home damaged after all the work that we put in. And I have a means to defend myself....so...

Today, I found out that the home appraised for 75K more than it did before I renovated it.  I'm extremely happy!  Thanks to all the friends who helped me gut the house, pull down stucco, hack ivy, etc.  They really saved me a bundle helping me demolish.  I learned how to jackhammer, use a ditch witch, put in cabinetry, tile, caulk, shop (God...that was like pulling teeth for a manly girl like me) for appliances, furniture, window coverings, blah blah blah. I tied myself to the chimney and jacked that fucker down myself.  Even the neighbors came by and watched me...they were amazed to see a woman up there doing it.

I got the nicest complement about how it doesn't even compare...so...I'm sharing some before and after pics!  Enjoy the pics of Casa de Cromwell!  Thanks Mom! I love you!

1. View from only window in Master

2. The ex's bedroom now Master en Suite


3. Only original bathroom

4. Fireplace built by family and made to last.
That took me awhile to tear down.

5. Carport and window to master (see above)

6. Kitchen with 70's wall paper

7. This is where the new front door is

8. This is where the new sink/window is.
Corner wall mounted TV and gas fireplace
(See 4)

New laundry room (back of pic 6 & 9)
New Patio (see door in 5)

Half wall built to shelter patio

This wall is the same as 5 above...no window
New kitchen w/concrete countertops
and floors, pendant lights (see 8)
9. back of kitchen with washer
Dryer and tank water heater
built in the corner


renovated old bath

Shot with front door

2nd bedroom 

Renovated bathroom

Renovated bathroom

My iComfort bed! This wall is the same
in #5.

Master Bath tub (see 2)

Master Bath (see 2)

Master water closet

Master shower with seat

Tub and shower wall

Master Shower with 2 heads!


No comments: