Thursday, January 17, 2013

Singing....

I sing. I sing every day and have always sung every day since grade school. A day without singing is a day when my heart is completely devoid of any and all emotion, i.e. dead! It’s always been this way for me. And during those moments when it’s inappropriate for me to break out into song, I sing in my head. Music is lifeblood and without it I feel incomplete.

I don’t have problems singing in front of people, it’s usually the one-on-one moments that are hard. I sang to my MIL in the hospital at night when she was restless. She was a music teacher, so I knew I wouldn’t get any issues there. However, she was a firm believer that singers have big mouths. I think my mouth is average…not sure what made me think of that, but I remember her talking about it.

When I’m in Mexico, you can always find me out on the beach, late at night, listening to the waves roll in and….singing! I always wonder what the guards think, but they humor me, don’t laugh and watch out to make sure I’m safe, so…I guess it’s all good. I sang at my Grandmother’s gravesite. She always wanted my Mother to sing the Beatles “Let it Be” when her time came, but my Mom couldn’t do it. So I belted it out a cappella and after a few moments, others joined me. I think my Grandma would’ve liked that. My buddy "K's" daughter "B" and I used to trade songs. She would call me up on my answering machine, and in her little girl voice, leave me a song (I still have them), and I would call her back and leave her one. If I know a good friend is feeling down, I’ll leave a song to cheer them up. So far, no one has off’d themselves, so my singing must be bearable.

What made me think of this topic? I sent a song to one of my Aussie blogging buddies a few years back, and I know she’s feeling craptacular these days. I told her “I may have to send a song your way” and she replied back “Diz, given that you have an amazing singing voice, the thought of you sending me any song makes me happy.” That just totally made my day. It’s actually an average voice, but…I have to learn to just say “Thank you” when I receive compliments (I have a hard time with that).

So, through the magic of Garage Band, I am posting a song to cheer up my buddy. It’s more of a romantic Country song, but given my funky feeling and yesterday’s post about “inhaling a man’s scent”, well….  P.S. This song is NOT for any married man!






1 comment:

Cat McKenzie said...

I freakin' LOVE it. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. CAPITAL L-O-V-E, Love. Only thing I would disagree with is your assessment of your voice. I think it's amazing and I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat. Electra Woman, you rock my world.