Thursday, January 3, 2013

Weight Loss and Holidays


Everyone assumes that weight will be gained during the holidays.  Even my Doctor assumed I would be gaining weight when I was in her office a week after Thanksgiving for a toe injury.  The conversation went basically as follows:

Dr.: You’ve done a great job at keeping the weight off.
Me: Thank you.
Dr.: You know, with the holidays, you’re going to gain weight and you’re going to have to work hard to take it off.
Me (Out loud): Really?  I didn’t gain weight last year, and I’m not going to this year.
Me (Internally) Bitch! Why would you say something so demeaning without reviewing my chart to see if it’s necessary?
Dr.: Most people gain weight during the holidays, and you probably will too.
Me (Out Loud): Dr. I’ve worked too hard for this body, and my StairMaster has clocked too many steps for me to let it go now. I make sure that I only fluctuate within 5 to 10 lbs max. But thanks for caring enough for the warning.
Me (Internally): When I want your effing opinion, I will ask for it, SKANK! STEP OFF!!!

Even my Mother was discussing weight after the Christmas dinner I made her.  She’s on some kind of starvation kick and hasn’t been eating. I did the usual questions…Have you talked to your doctor? Is it your medications?, etc.  But my entire family has always been weight obsessed.  After talking with my mother, I realize she was taking her obsession too far.  So I responded back with…”What would you like me to do with this information?” She said that she didn’t know what I meant, to which I replied “Well, Basically Mom, you’re telling me that you’re committing suicide slowly by starvation, so are you asking me to take care of arrangements for you?” She thought about that comment for a moment. And then I told her “Do you realize that every conversation we have includes the topic of weight?” Little did I know that the present she put under my tree was for packing salads to work…another shot at my weight.

Well how’s this people….I’ve lost 10 lbs since my trip to Cabo in October, and I managed to lose 2 lbs during the holidays.  Please know, I am not trying to lose weight.  What I am trying to do is build muscle.  I want more muscle definition on my body, so in addition to my 45 minutes on the StairMaster (Vin Diesel), I started doing abdominal workouts.  I’m now looking for a used BowFlex to concentrate on the muscle aspect of my exercise and not just the aerobic aspect.  I’m 5ft 8 in and weigh 160 lbs.  I’m probably about 10 lbs overweight (according to weight charts), but I wear a size 9 in Junior and a Medium in women, so I’m comfortable with where I’m at.  Once I build some muscle, I’d like to see my weight around 150, but I’m not going to obsess over it.  I just want my body to be decently sculpted. 
Don’t get me wrong…I will never be a model and do not aspire to the wispy, willowy frame that you see on them.  I just want to be and look fit and healthy.  And to be able to kick someone’s ass$ if necessary!

I’m just frustrated with all the hype and inundation by the media that we look a certain way, and of course, it’s all airbrushed.  What’s worse is that my physician is just as obsessed and that is extremely unnerving!  Free your minds people, and concentrate on things like the freaks trying to take away my Second Amendment rights, or how the solution to the fiscal cliff now adds $42 dollars in additional spending to every $1 dollar of tax cuts. 
Oh, and for you men out there that love the idea of sweaty women after a workout…I leave you with this picture…and it isn’t pretty!


No comments: